A place for supporting learning and opportunity.
Cultural Conversations is a community-based arts hub that is focussed on building relationships and empowering former refugee and migrant communities.
Cultural Conversation’s kaupapa is ‘A place for learning, supporting and opportunity. Strength lies in differences not similarities’. We want to create an arts hub where the focus is on manaakitanga and whanaungatanga.
The kaupapa is to create a safe space with a flurry of creative happenings, encouraging others to lead the way, and become agents of positive change and social transformation. Led by Tanya Nock, Cultural Conversations wants to facilitate workshops, performances and installations in the city centre.
Projects in the mix include:
– short concerts from different communities
– a makeshift DJ where you can tune in and listen to music from other cultures
– make Sri Lankan lanterns for “Night Vision”, a Nelson Arts Festival event on Thursday 1 October
– fun drama and games sessions for the whole whanau
– human libraries – where people tell their own story of their lives
– a place to practice traditional dances and then invite the community for workshops and dancing
– musical instrument masterclasses and demonstrations from other cultures
– K-pop and hip hop karaoke – book your place to try rapping and singing (inspired by a Sunday market in Berlin)
– lunchtime Voice Collectives – pop up singing chosen by the communities, inviting city workers for a 20min sing song to refresh for the afternoon
– sari dressing – how to wear a sari with Indian Kayal music
– team building workshops with Inrhythm (African drumming)